Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Joys, The Struggles, The Neverending Cycle of Being a Homeschool Mom

So readers, today's post is about surviving the "joys" that come with being a mom to three kids who homeschool. Why you might ask is the word joys italicized it is because I am being sarcastic. As I sit here to write this post I want to invite you into my home and my life. Come with me on today's journey readers. I do not actually invite you over to my home right this minute as it looks like one of these has come right through my front door:
But allow me through my words to transport you here. OK so I am sitting here at my "desk" in the dining room while my children are around me or coming in and out of the dining room from their rooms to ask me one thing or another. I have my beautiful friend right next to me practically being ignored through all the constant questions.
Readers I only wish my cup of coffee looked that pretty but hey its coffee and that is all that matters. Anywho I digressed as I tend to do. My children are my world to me. I as their mother love them oh so much and would love to see them just like this in my heart. This would be my oldest Lissy:
And my younger daughter Kiki:
And even my son Jordan:
Oh but alas that is not the case. Most days here in our little homeschool this is what I get from those adorable little angels:
And it leads this mama here to for the most part look like this when my husband comes home from work:
Oh caption and all readers, caption and all!! But what do my kids think about mom when she is this stressed out trying to help them with their co-op homework, get them going on their school work or even trying to finish as much of my classes as possible before my upcoming surgery? This is what my kids look like when I am at my wits end, searching boarding school options because public school is just not enough, when I am ready to throttle someone because in the past 30 minutes I was only able to read one sentence over and over again in my school book and my precious cup of Joe has had to be re-heated three times? Do you want to see the face these three "angels" give me readers? Are you prepared for this? Well here it is:
Yup with them everything is just happy go lucky in this world! LOL. No readers I love my kids to the max. My kids make me laugh, they make me better each and everyday. Oh just how I wish for breaks here and there but I know that God has called me in this season of my life to Homeschool them so that is what I will continue to do.

Readers being a mom is sometimes the hardest job in life and it is sometimes the most difficult thing to survive. How can I say that you ask when I just found out I have cancer? Well let's put it this way. Cancer is not something I ever asked for and children I did. Cancer is not a blessing, at least not one that can always be seen, but children are. Cancer is something I can fight to get rid of but children are not. I can say "You know what it really sucks having cancer! I hate this!" But I don't ever wish to say that about motherhood. I love my children and they know I will ALWAYS love them but not always like their choices they make. Trust me I will NEVER love the cancer.

Being a mom is a full time job. It is just as hard as it rewarding and some days I wonder if I will even see the reward that day because all they do is argue, complain and throw one hissy fit after another but then there are days when the joy is overflowing. I choose to focus more on those days and allow the bad ones to pass like I know they will. All of it will pass but I want one day when my kids are grown to know: "Hey I did something right!" Will I ever get my degree? I hope but my degree won't mean as much to me as my kids life, their upbringing and the legacy I leave them with. Will I ever get my dream of going to a fancy spa, get the works done, leave feeling 100 times better then when I came in? Who knows but I do know when I see my kids are adults who are good people, who are contributing to society, who are serving the Lord and raising their family to do so as well then I will know I did something right. Motherhood is hard and there never seems to be a break from it but I pray all you mothers out there know that your hard work eventually will pay off. You will see good, loving, hard working and God-fearing adults that you brought into this world.

I always finish my blog posts with Scripture but I found this poem online and love it so much I want to share it with you all today. It is called the Struggling Mother and was written by Cecillia:
"Unselfish love every day
It only grows, it never fades.
Happy to see her offspring smile,
Even when it feels like she's ran 20 miles.
How she does it? I do not know.
But she loves them to death - for this she knows.

Another headache, another tear.

She just wants someone to hold her near.
She doubts the future and her success
And swears that her life is just a mess.
How she does it? I do not know.
She deserves better - this I know.

Keep on fighting 'til the end

Even though you may break, and even bend.
Look forward to a brighter day...
One that will temporarily wash those sorrows away.
Stay strong and you will see,
A better life is meant to be.

Always remember that someone admires you...

And acknowledges everything that you've been through."


I wish I knew the author of this poem personally to thank her for such beautiful words.

Readers as always:

Be blessed in HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment