Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Survival: Solo Act or the Act of a Village?

Destiny's Child once sang these lyrics:
"I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not goin' give up (What?)
I'm not goin' stop (What?)
I'm goin' work harder (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm goin'na make it (What?)
I will survive (What?)
Keep on survivin' (What?)"

Reba McEntire sang these:
"A single mom who works two jobs
Who loves her kids and never stops
With gentle hands and a heart of a fighter
I'm a survivor"





And who can forget when Donna Summers sang the iconic song:
"Oh no not I.
I will survive.
Oh as long as I know how to love
I know I'll stay alive.
I got all my life to live
and I got all my love to give.
and I'll survive. I will survive. hey hey"



Each of these songs has two characteristics in common. As the teacher in me I feel the need to ask you all now "do you know what they are?"
If you answered that each of these "Survivor" songs was sung by women and each of these "Survivor" songs is about one's own personal strength then give yourself a gold star for the day!
  Oohhh I just learned how to add pictures! How cool is that?? LOL

Anywho back to my point here. OK I have to admit that Donna Summer's song came out before my time but I would still jam out to it when I heard it and who can not listen to Destiny's Child and not sing along to them or hey Reba's song was her theme song to her show that I absolutely loved to watch! But is there prespective on Survival the right one? I started thinking about that today.

I am still here waiting for March 1st to come around and to know what my fate is and I have to say Survival of any kind should never be a solo thing. I have two amazing friends here in El Paso who just yesterday both offered to go with me to the doctor to get my results and that is what got me thinking why would we belt out these songs as women talking about our "survival" being a solo act?

Have you ever heard the term: "it takes a village to raise a child". This term is so true! I am a homeschool mom, I have three very amazing but very charasmatic children to say it kindly, I am thousands of miles (ok maybe not thousands like in the 10,000's but more like 1,700 miles) from my parents, sisters and friends I knew since I was a kid myself and I have recently dealt with a deployment that left me as a single parent for a time being. If I did not use "the village" I am in right now where God placed us to help me raise my children I would not even have survived our deployment. But I believe it also takes a village to help one another in our walk with God, in our daily struggles, even in our daily triumphs as well. And I was blown away when these beautiful women both without me having to ask (and trust me I really wanted to ask but did not know how) offered to accompany me to the appointment. My heart just swelled and literally I felt my eyes water when they both offered.

Now that was when I was there in the moment and relishing in the beauty of our friendship (wow I just read that back and thought I sound like a 1960's flower child....LOL I think I need to lay off the coffee... LOL) but when I got home and was left alone I thought again wait a minute I might need to rethink this whole thing. I want them there desperately because I don't know what news I will be getting. Will I get good news and want someone there to join me along in my happy dance? Or will I get bad news and want someone there to not only comfort me but calm me down? But then I started thinking: "OMG (I love that my daughters taught me that one) this is a female doctor appointment and even though they are good friends I don't think I feel comfortable with anyone other than my husband and my doctor all up in my fluffies (remember this means my belly) and my Umm-Umms as my daughter refers to them and I am sure you can figure out for yourself what the umm-umms are. Seriously people I do not feel comfortable explaining that to you all so please think creatively.

So after I came up with this conclusion in my head I sat down with my wonderful husband who came up with the best solution. Aren't hubbys grand? He told me "Why don't you have them come with you and if it is an appointment where they have to check the ummm-ummms (he did not use that word but I am not about to introduce to you, my readers (LOL like I have a fan base or something.... hey let me be dillusional for a second please) just ask them to wait in the lobby then. HELLO MCFLY!!
Anyone remember what movie that is from?
Oh man that movie was awesome wasn't it? Wow I digressed didn't I? Why didn't I think of that? I can still have my dignity having to get checked by the GIRLoclogist (My daughter says that is what they should be called since they only check girls) and have the support system to hear whatever news they have to tell me.

Survival is for the fittest but the fittest know that they are never alone. We have a creator who loves us so much that he has and never will leave us and he also in his all knowing made others to be with us as well. God knew way before the dawn of time that we were creations who needed company, support and strength from one another and so when he set out to create man he knew he needed to create woman as well. I wish my husband were able to take the time to go with me to my appointment but I also understand that is not a possibility right now but God placed these women in my life to be my support when I needed it. Philippians 2:4 tells us" Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." ESV. That is what these women have offered me. "Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality" Romans 12:13 ESV. and my favorite verse of all for a matter such as this: "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:19 ESV. God has supplied all my needs. I have said it once and I will say it a thousand times HE is my rock and HE is my foundation and I know going to him and asking him to help me with the support I need he has answered my prayers.

Once again BE BLESSED IN HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment